philstar.com: Returning and new hire overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) would hopefully be deployed to Bahrain after King Hamad has announced the lifting of the State of National Safety on June 1, a migrant workers' rights group disclosed.
John Monterona, Migrante-Middle East regional coordinator, said the Philippine government could follow suit and lift the deployment ban, citing the normalizing peace and order situation in Bahrain.
Monterona added that other countries that have already lifted their respective deployment ban to Bahrain as earlier as mid-April.
"“We could not understand why the Philippine embassy could not properly assess the situation in Bahrain, lagging behind the very good assessment issued last week by Nepal, Sri Lankan, Pakistani and Indian governments that Bahrain is going to be back to normal,” he said.
Last April, OFWs groups initiated a petition campaign, urging the Philippine embassy in Bahrain to reassess and downgrade its alert level.
The petition has since received massive support from returning and new hire OFWs and their families, Monterona said.